Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Inconceivable by Alex Johnston

    Huge thank you to @netgalley for the free ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.



Synopsis from Goodreads: 

Fifteen years ago, Alex Johnston and her husband decided it was time to start a family. As it turned out, that was the easy part. Like many women of her generation, she had left child-bearing until her thirties as she finished her education and established her career. She was stunned to learn that her fertility had already peaked and was in serious decline. What followed was a harrowing, sometimes heart-breaking journey, including infertility and IVF treatments, and multiple attempts at surrogacy. She refuses to quit even after losing her first child (carried by a surrogate), a tragedy that jeopardized her marriage and her mental health.

Genre? Non-fiction/Memoir

Backlist? No. Pub day is today! May 4, 2021.

New to me Author? Yes.

What did I think? 

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of Inconceivable by Alex Johnston. This book stood out to me, as I'm currently going through secondary infertility after the loss of our second child to an ectopic pregnancy. Though I knew there was a possibility of triggers, I was willing to do my best, hoping there was also some "light at the end of the tunnel" moments.

Alex Johnston documents her struggles with getting pregnant, how much time and money she spent on IVF treatments, and her experiences through multiple tries at surrogacy (as in, someone else carrying for her). We have not tried IVF ourselves, but I do feel like I know a bit more about it after reading this memoir. 

I would recommend this book, honestly, to anyone. It really helps you look into the world of infertility, whether you live there or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment