Friday, November 6, 2020

Five Star Friday - Night

 This week's Five Star read was read by Jay! 



Synopsis from Goodreads: Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. Night is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man. This new translation by his wife and most frequent translator, Marion Wiesel, corrects important details and presents the most accurate rendering in English of Elie Wiesel's testimony to what happened in the camps and of his unforgettable message that this horror must simply never be allowed to happen again.

Genre? Non-fiction, Classic, Memoir, Historical

Backlist? Yes. It was first published in 1956.

New to me Author? Yes.

Why I rated it 5 stars? 
I lack the proper vocabulary to explain how powerful this book was to me. I've always heard about how great it was but: A) I don't really read the Classics (I'm trying to start though!) and B: I don't much care for historical novels, fiction or non-fiction. However, when this became available at my library I decided to give it a shot.

It was breath-taking in both the best and the worst ways. The best, because Elie Wiesel had such a way with words and with writing. He includes every detail of the things he experienced in Auschwitz. That's the worst part - the astonishing things that Elie was put through were heartbreaking. None of it was necessarily ground-breaking, new information, but it hits just the same every time you hear about or read another survivor's story. 

This book was a quick read. I actually listened to the audiobook version and I cried my way through it in one sitting. 5/5 Hands Down.

No comments:

Post a Comment