Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Troubles in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand

Huge thank you to the author and to @netgalley for reaching out with a free audio-ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.



Synopsis from Goodreads: 

Travel to the bright Caribbean one last time in the satisfying conclusion to the nationally bestselling Winter in Paradise trilogy by Elin Hilderbrand.

After uprooting her life in the States, Irene Steele has just settled in at the villa on St. John where her husband Russ had been living a double life. But a visit from the FBI shakes her foundations, and Irene once again learns just how little she knew about the man she loved.

With help from their friends, Irene and her sons set up their lives while evidence mounts that the helicopter crash that killed Russ may not have been an accident. Meanwhile, the island watches this drama unfold -- including the driver of a Jeep with tinted windows who seems to be shadowing the Steele family.

As a storm gathers strength in the Atlantic, surprises are in store for the Steeles: help from a mysterious source, and a new beginning in the paradise that has become their home. At last all will be revealed about the secrets and lies that brought Irene and her sons to St. John -- and the truth that transformed them all.

Genre? Contemporary Fiction

Backlist? Yes. I was super late to getting to this one. Published October 6, 2020

New to me Author? No. 

What did I think? 

Troubles in Paradise is the third (and final) book in the Paradise series by author Elin Hilderbrand. I've really enjoyed reading and learning about Irene, Huck, Maia, Rosie, Russ, Cash, Baker, and the gang. I remember finishing What Happens in Paradise and immediately wanted to dig into this one next. That's why I was a little disappointed when I finally got to read this book. Elin Hilderbrand writes so beautifully, but this ending seemed very rushed and forced to me. I think Hilderbrand could have easily made this into a 4, or even 5, part series instead of just a trilogy. There was so much more that I expected out of each of the characters and I felt like all of the previous character development just kind of went out the window at the end here. I still very much enjoyed this novel, but compared to the previous novels of the series, this was my least favorite of the three.

No comments:

Post a Comment